The MBYC Lightning Fleet, Number 194, was formed in 1949. Four Lightning National Championships have been sailed at MBYC, in 1961, 1980, 1988 and 2007. Major MBYC events are the California Circuit, and the California Districts.
by Ed Jones, edited by dc
THE INTERNATIONAL LIGHTNING CLASS ASSOCIATION
THE 2013 LIGHTING CLASS CALIFORNIA DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP
JULY 21, 2013
HOSTED BY MISSION BAY YACHT CLUB AND LIGHTNING FLEET 194
NOTICE OF RACE
Schedule of Events
Sunday, July 21, 2013
8:30am - 9:30am
First Race Warning signal (more races following)
Hors d'oeuvres and trophy presentation
- Course and Races
- The intention is to sail this regatta on ocean courses.
- Five races are planned with no throw-outs.
- One completed race constitutes a regatta.
- Boats must hold must display valid ILCA membership
- Each boat shall carry a fluke-type anchor weighing at least 4 pounds (1.S kg) with 50' of 3/8" line that can be used as a tow line or anchor line, a compass, a minimum one gallon bucket, a paddle, an approved wearable life preserver for each person on board, a throwable life preserver (cushion), and a whistle. Each boat must be equipped with a centerboard preventer.
- All sails shall bear an Official Royalty Label as provided for in the ILCA Specifications, and Mainsail and Spinnaker numbers shall be the same.
- The Skipper must be a Life, Active or Associate Member who meets the requirements as defined in the ILCA Constitution.
- Crew must be Active, Life, Crew, or Associate Members of the ILCA, and shall be designated distinctly as Crew. They shall serve as such, only touching the tiller for brief temporary relief. Such periods may include the time required to set, jibe, or douse a spinnaker or repair damage to rigging, but no longer.
The CDC shall be governedIby the rules of the International Sailing Federation (ISAF) 2013-2016 Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS) and by the US Sailing Prescriptions and by the ILCA rules governing all Sanctioned Regattas-including changes.
- Rule Changes
The following changes to the RRS will be in effect for this regatta: RRS rule 42.3(c) to allow certain types of pumping in accordance with the ILCA rules. RRS rule 44.2 to allow a one turn penalty vs. a two turns penalty if the spinnaker is drawing at the time of the infringement and if the spinnaker is subsequently reset, in accordance with the ILCA rules. RRS Appendix A4.1 to score any boat that does not start within five (5) minutes after her starting signal as "DNS”.
- There shall be no substitution of Skipper.
- Once the CDC has begun, a boat and crew must sail together throughout, except in the case of a proven accident or injury. Permission for a substitution of crew in such cases may be obtained from the California District Commodore.
- If a sail is damaged substantially during the CDC, the sail may be replaced.
- Radio Communications
For safety reasons, the MBYC IRace Committee encourages all boats competing in the CDC to carry VHF radios and that they monitor the channel provided in the Sailing Instructions. Except in an emergency, a boat shall neither transmit nor receive any radio or telephone communication not available to all other competitors. A boat that does not carry a VHF radio shall not be penalized.
- Perpetual Trophy
- The CDC perpetual trophy of shall be enscribed with the name of the winning skipper and crew and be displayed at Mission Bay Yacht Club.
- Right, title, and interest in the CDC perpetual trophy shall belong to the Mission Bay Yacht Club.
- Sailing Instructions
- Official Sailing Instructions will be available at check-in on July 21.
- The Sailing Instructions will contain further information about venue, courses, marks, starting, safety regulations, support boats, radio communication, prizes, propulsion, time limits, penalty system, protests and redress, and scoring.
- Organizing Authority
- The California District Championship (CDC) is organized under the authority of the International Lightning Class Association (ILCA) and ILCA Fleets #194 and #272 and has been sanctioned by the ILCA in accordance with the ILCA bylaws.
- The CDC is a qualifying regatta for the 2013 ILCA North American Championships. The qualifying ratio will be determined by the ILCA.
Mission Bay Yacht Club
1215 El Carmel Place
San Diego CA 92109
- Boat Storage
Boat storage is available at Mission Bay Yacht Club.
- For additional information, contact:
Click on link to see great Lighting action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dod5s-yv0es